Meet our #SAIPAproud memberIan Ferreira-Massyn
Ian Ferreira-Massyn is a proud Professional Accountant (SA). He matriculated in 2005 from Alexandria High School in the small town, Alexandria.
After matriculating in 2005 he moved to Port Elizabeth in 2006 where he studied BCOM in general accounting at Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (now Nelson Mandela University). Ian joined Mazars, a prestigious international and integrated firm as a trainee accountant in February 2010.
Following successful completion of his traineeship, he was promoted through the ranks until his recent promotion, on 01 January 2022, as the leader of the accounting and outsourced service line for the Mazars Port Elizabeth office.
Ian has a great passion for the accountancy profession and advocating for SME’s and non-profits and is becoming a well-known public figure in the accountancy profession in South Africa, generating a social media following on his facebook blog page of over 3800 followers in less than one year.
Some hi-lights from his student days at University as well as during his career includes:
- Serving as the Executive Treasurer of the University’s Ballroom and Latin American Dance Organisation. As a ballroom dancer himself, he took part in four student National competitions during his student days, winning various gold and silver medals.
- Being awarded with an exceptional merit award in Student Governance and Development by the University for his contribution as a Treasurer at the Ballroom and Latin-American Dance organisation.
- Serving as a supplemental instruction leader in computing fundamentals and labour law and receiving three consecutive exceptional merit awards for his work as a SI Leader. SI is a student academic assistance programme that increases student performance and retention.
- Being a master of ceremonies for various fundraising events, including co-MC’ing with other public figures such as actors from the popular 7de Laan show, radio presenters and title holders from Mr South Africa and Miss United Nations.
Ian is the founder of the popular #SAIPAProud hashtag and currently serves the accountancy profession in the following capacities:
- He is a Board member of the South African Institute of Professional Accountants (SAIPA), as well as a member of SAIPA’s Executive Committee of the Board.
- He is the chairperson of the SAIPA Marketing Committee.
- He is the chairperson of the SAIPA Southern Region.
- He is a programme advisory board member for the faculty of Business and Economic Sciences at Nelson Mandela University.
- He is a Board member of the MTR Smit Children’s Haven.
With all these accomplishments at only the age of 34 we can only imagine what the future holds for this #SAIPAProud accountant.