SAIPA statementon allegations by Afriforum Youth
13 November 2020
SAIPA statement on allegations by Afriforum Youth
The South African Institute of Professional Accountants (SAIPA) notes the request for information relating to its Project Achiever Programme made by Afriforum Youth under the Promotion of Access to Information Act.
Afriforum has also published a statement that alleges that this programme is racist in nature and discriminates unfairly against white, Coloured and Indian South Africans.
“This kind of slanderous allegations are highly irresponsible,” says Shahied Daniels, SAIPA Chief Executive “The concept of racism does not feature in any SAIPA policy or practice.”
SAIPA is in contact with Afriforum Youth and its attorneys.
The facts are:
- The Project Achiever Programme is intended to fulfil two strategic objectives: to grow the number of Professional Accountants in South Africa and to transform the demographics of the accounting profession to match the country’s demographic profile.
- The funding for the Programme is provided by the Seta for Finance, Accounting, Management Consulting and Other Financial Services (FASSET). FASSET set the criteria for its funding, and SAIPA had no input into them. SAIPA is bound to follow the terms of the funder’s selection criteria.
- The Programme is available to individuals who do not meet FASSET’s criteria for a fee who fund themselves
- SAIPA funded educational improvement projects such as the recent Grade 12 Accounting and Mathematics School Support Project, which was open to all races and is testimony to our commitment to nation building, whilst not forgetting that extra effort must be made to reach previously disadvantaged communities.
- SAIPA is fully committed to greater diversity in its educational development projects and is more than willing to engage with Afriforum Youth to investigate ways of providing funding to those candidates who do not meet FASSET’s criteria.
The letter from Afriforum is “grossly inaccurate” and “highly irresponsible”. SAIPA categorically rejects the accusation of racism and has asked for a retraction and apology from Afriforum Youth.
Queries: Please email email@example.com